Saturday, 27 June 2015

Reflecting on 'Reflective Practice' - L Finlay (2008)

Having read Finlay's article on Reflecting on Reflective Practice (2008) I thought carefully about the information provided and what captivated my attention and thought.

My initial thought is what is a clear definition of reflective practice?

The first issue that I believe is important is to have a clear definition of what reflective practice looks like in the work place. With so many types of possible reflection from solitary to critical dialogue with other professionals it becomes difficult to know what reflection is suitable and effective. To ensure reflection is effective more complex models of reflection need to be explored to ensure deeper reflective activity and is not merely an opportunity to describe what is happening. This is especially true if reflective practice is going to be used to define levels of competency. As Smyth (1992, p285) suggested "reflection can mean all things to all people" and "everyone has their own interpretation of what reflection means". If reflection is to be used as a way to define competency all stakeholders will need to hold a shared vision and understanding of how to reflect effectively and why it is important. 
Reflection needs to be appropriate to the situation and will differ from time to time. For reflection to be meaningful it must have a purpose and respond to the issue being addressed.  Finlay suggests good reflecting is a matter for the individual to decide upon but must ensure that it is critical and fosters change and improvement.

Another thought I have revolves around the issues faced by reflection.

The biggest problem that I feel arises from critical reflection, is time. With teachers already under incredible pressures and the addition of constant reflection and change can lead to high levels of stress, resulting in poor reflections and changes to pedagogy that are not supported by evidence. Teachers need to want to critically reflect on their practice and see value in it. Finlay comments about students requiring time to reflect and this is the same for teachers. However, by providing specific time for reflection it could stifle thought processes as people may begin to reflect when they are given time which may not always be responsive and relevant.

After exploring the various models of reflection I feel I identify most with the model presented by Eby (2000) cited in Finlay (2008) where effective reflection is a combination of self awareness, reflection and critical thinking.



This models resonates with me because it breaks the reflection into manageable chunks and draws upon a range of overlapping information to reflect.




Self-awareness talks about intuition, having taught for ten years I feel I have a good understanding of common effective teaching practice which I feel confident in implementing as part of my daily program. With this experience I feel I can adapt and implement previously successful approaches to meet the needs of my current students, however I also feel confident in my abilities and willingly explore new pedagogy and challenge thinking and assumptions through critical thinking.  I am confident in evaluating my teaching approaches and am honest when they are not working and need to be challenged. By having the self-awareness to recognise when changes need to occur and the confidence to trial new theory based approaches and respond critically my pedagogy is changing and adapting. I believe this model encompasses all the areas required to effectively reflect on practice and encourages deeper thinking and exploration.


References

Eby, M.A. (2000) Understanding professional development. In A. Brechin, H. Brown and M.A. Eby(eds.) Critical practice in health and social care. London: Sage. Cited in Finlay (2008) Reflecting on Reflective Practice. PBPL

Smyth, J. (1992) Teachers’ work and the politics of reflection. American Educational Research Journal, 29, 267-300. Cited in Finlay (2008) Reflecting on Reflective Practice. PBPL













No comments:

Post a Comment