Saturday, 27 June 2015

Reflection on learning and practice

Over the last 7 months I have been studying for a Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Practice through The Mindlab. This course has had its challenges, however it has taught me a lot about myself as a teacher, leader and learner.

 
As a teacher...

 
Prior to beginning this course I was very much as an autocratic teacher where I told the children what they would be learning and how they would know if they were successful or not. I supported them to create goals based on the information I provided them. Now I feel I have adapted my teaching to allow for students to take greater ownership over their learning and have greater student agency. I provide students opportunities to attend workshops that they can sign up for depending on what they feel they need to learn. I give my students time to develop and refine skills through personal choice. I support opportunities for the children to collaborate and work on tasks of personal interest to them where the skills they have been taught can be showcased. Digital technologies are now used to create rather than consume and students can select how they wish to present their work. This work is then shared on the class blog and commented on by parents and other students. Through discussions with my class they have commented that they prefer having a choice over their learning and what order they will complete learning tasks as it gives them the opportunity to be independent. The children are more able to talk about their learning and their goals as they have a clearer understanding of what they need to learn next through the use of work models and access to their assessment and tracking sheets. Overall, I believe this course has taught me to be more flexible in my teaching and that even very young children can be accountable and take ownership over their learning. 

 
As a leader...

 
Through this course I have explored in depth the different leadership styles. I have reflected on my past leadership roles and how I have adapted and changed with experience. The course has also shown me which leaderships styles are more favourable and which styles suit different situations. I am now more aware of my teams personalities and approach them as individuals rather than as a group. I recognise the importance of a shared vision and how team members need to feel ownership over the changes that are being implemented and I am now striving to be more of a transformational leader. 

 
As a learner...

 
As Burns (1978) suggested "working collaboratively is better than working individually" and I have discovered that I enjoy collaborating with others on tasks and feel that through this approach I am able to learn from others while supporting them also. By collaborating I take more responsibility over my role as a team member as I am aware others are relying on me. By experiencing how collaborating has had a positive influence on my learning I have begun to use this teaching approach in my classroom. As a learner I have also started to reflect more on my practice and how it impacts on my students learning, thinking carefully about three core questions:
 
  • What is happening?
  • What is not happening?
  • What can I do to influence this?

By deeper and more specific reflections I have been able to pinpoint what is successful in my teaching approach for my students and what may need to be adapted and changed to ensure my students are engaged and are able to learn.
 
References
Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership. New York: Harper & Row retrieved from
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment